This picture is the beginning of our homemade muesli. Making homemade muesli allows you to enjoy the hearty, high fibre, filling breakfast that is muesli, whilst knowing exactly what is in it and knowing that it isn’t full of sugar. The recipe can be adapted to include or exclude ingredients that you do or don’t like and can easily be made fruit or nut free.
Homemade muesli is a great source of soluble and insoluble fibre, protein and essential fatty acids. Served topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit, this is the perfect start to the day and will keep you going for hours.
4 cups traditional rolled oats (some of this can be spelt flakes, quinoa flakes, buckwheat kernels or any other grain)
1 cup almonds, roughly chopped (or any other nut you prefer)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup mixed dried fruit – whichever you prefer (sultanas, raisins, dried apricots, dried apple, currants, dates, cranberries, figs….)
1/2 cup of sesame seeds
1/2 cup of bran
1/3 cup of wheat germ
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon (more or less to your liking)
- If you like your homemade muesli raw, then combine all the above ingredients into a container, place the lid on and shake it up.
- If you prefer a toasted muesli and a bit of crunch from those nuts and seeds, then you’ll need to turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius.
- On a baking tray, spread out the oats on one tray and the nuts, pepitas and sunflower seeds on another and toast until lightly browned, ~5-10 minutes – the oats will be ready before the nuts and seeds.
- Heat up a non stick fry pan and add coconut and mix around until it starts to brown, remove immediately. The browning of the coconut releases a sweeter flavour, without any addition of sweetener.
- Once cooled, mix all toasted ingredients with dried fruit, sesame seeds, bran, wheat germ and cinnamon in a container and shake to mix.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
Place 1/2 cup of homemade muesli into a bowl. Top with 1-2 dessertspoons of natural yoghurt and fruit of your choice – berries, banana, stewed apple or pear. Enjoy!