Looking for something to keep you warm over these colder winter days? Try this hearty Bacon, Vegetable and Lentil Soup.
1 tbs olive oil
3 rashers of bacon, fat trimmed and chopped
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 sticks of celery, diced
1/2 a medium zucchini, diced
1 small sweet potato, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 a red chilli, finely chopped
2 sprigs of thyme, stems removed
1 x 400g tin of lentils
100g of dried red lentils
1 reduced salt chicken or vegetable stock cube
1 x 400g tin of cannelloni beans
1 large handful of baby spinach leaves.
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add bacon and fry until caramelised.
- Add all vegetables, garlic, thyme and chilli and cook for ~10 minutes on low to allow vegetables to soften.
- Add lentils, stock and water and simmer for 15 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Add cannellini beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add spinach leaves and season with salt and pepper.