This chilli con carne is a hearty dish that will warm you from the inside out. It is high in protein, fibre, vitamin C and is low GI, leaving you feeling full for longer. Chilli con carne is also a delicious meal even without the rice.
1 tbs olive oil
1 x onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 yellow capsicum, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
500g beef mince
2 x 400g tinned tomatoes
1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans, drained
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
1 small bunch of coriander
1 cob of corn, kernels removed or 1 x 400g tin of corn
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup uncooked basmati rice per person
2 tbs natural yoghurt
- Heat oil in large saucepan and add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, zucchini and capsicum and stir to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, cinnamon, cumin and coriander and stir, cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Add beef mince and allow to brown slightly, breaking up the lumps.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans and 2 cups of water, along with the chopped stalks of the coriander and the balsamic vinegar.
- Allow to simmer away for about an hour until the liquid has reduced, stirring occasionally. Stir in coriander leaves, reserving some for garnish.
- Once cooked, prepare the rice as per instructions on the packet.
- Mix the avocado and natural yoghurt together with a squeeze of lime to make the guacamole.
- Serve chilli on top of fluffy rice with a dollop of guacamole on the side.